Moment to Moment

Takashi Shimura as Watanabe in “Ikiru,” (1952, dir. Akira Kurosawa)
Takashi Shimura as Watanabe in “Ikiru,” (1952, dir. Akira Kurosawa)

Yesterday, as I was walking down Spadina Street here in Toronto to meet someone, something within me started noticing my thoughts. It was strange becoming aware of all these thoughts just a-thinking in me. It was like watching a series of short films–one after another. But suddenly I found myself–on the street, in the snow, surrounded by people and the whole cacophony of China Town with merchants yelling and cars everywhere. I was present to it–an opening to my life as it was happening now.

This body that usually just carries me around came into view, I was embodied. It lasted a few moments, before I was taken back up into the head and back into the swirling films that were so irresistibly engaging. But a moment later, I would remember and return to this body beneath me, here and now, along with the impressions of the street, the sounds, and the people and cars.

It occurred to me that “I” am not often the one who goes out for a walk. The stories that continually run around in my mind take me for a walk. How many days of my life, I wonder, have I been living in these stories without actually living my real life. I’m not interested in labeling the stories as good or bad–it’s part of being human, but I am interested in the part of us that can watch, without judgment on what is actually taking place–moment to moment.

8 Comments

Join the discussion and tell us your opinion.

shoofoolattereply
January 30, 2015 at 04:01 PM

I do the same thing. I think it has something to do with waking up, but it’s so easy to fall back under again. Thanks for your reflection. It helps me.

Pattyreply
January 30, 2015 at 04:01 PM

Love it, Luke! And “i am taken for a walk” translates into “I am taken,” whether walking or not. So who walks me? Who takes me

marcharhenreply
January 30, 2015 at 08:01 PM

thanks Luke, very real ..

anthonygsmithreply
January 31, 2015 at 03:01 AM

Thank you for that and best wishes to you both from London where it has begun to snow. I was on a walk the other day when I became aware of the sounds of school children in a playground and the thought came as if from another part of me that those sounds will never change; they would have been the same fifty years ago.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

David Kaniganreply
January 31, 2015 at 07:01 AM

Wonderful post. It is moment to moment.

Tessreply
February 01, 2015 at 07:02 PM

Thank you, Luke, for your marvelous illumination of the human experience. It reminds me of a quote from James Joyce’s Dubliners: “Mr. Duffy lived a short distance from his body.” To be truly awake in this form, to be with “it” and its portal to each rare present moment. What a gift to behold!

Ashenreply
February 02, 2015 at 10:02 AM

Lovely to connect to the middle-of-the moment … without judgement …

Deborah Jane Wellsreply
December 04, 2015 at 07:12 PM

YES! My thoughts on this subject from my book, “Choose Your Energy: Change Your Life!” (Hay House/Balboa Press 2013) “Becoming conscious and claiming your personal power to neutralize the [judging voice in your head] will yield immeasurable benefits. You will literally be able to redefine your world, because there is no absolute reality, only the story you tell yourself about what is happening and what it means. Every being, encounter, and experience that comes my way is filtered through a conglomeration of lenses that results in my unique perceptions. These lenses cause me to see my world in a certain way. They are influenced by my unique and complex mix of myriad factors: the family, cultural, and societal norms I was taught; my physical and mental abilities; my personality and natural talents; my birth order; the patterns I deduced from all my past experiences; and the assumptions I’ve presumed concerning what’s likely and possible in the future. I create my reality in each moment by choosing what I will think, believe, feel, and do based on what my lenses allow. I can choose to look through the lens of fear and remain weighed down and self-imprisoned, or I can choose the lens of love and embrace a life of freedom and flow. No outside event or situation, no other person can dictate my attitude. However unconscious the process may feel at the time, I am manifesting the world I choose to see.”

Would you enjoy being a guest blogger on my site? If so, send me an email at deborah@djwlifecoach.com and we’ll make a plan.