One Hundred and Eighty Degrees, by Federico Moramarco

Have you considered the possibility
that everything you believe is wrong,
not merely off a bit, but totally wrong,
nothing like things as they really are?

If you’ve done this, you know how durably fragile
those phantoms we hold in our heads are,
those wisps of thought that people die and kill for,
betray lovers for, give up lifelong friendships for.

If you’ve not done this, you probably don’t understand this poem,
or think it’s not even a poem, but a bit of opaque nonsense,
occupying too much of your day’s time,
so you probably should stop reading it here, now.

But if you’ve arrived at this line,
maybe, just maybe, you’re open to that possibility,
the possibility of being absolutely completely wrong,
about everything that matters.

How different the world seems then:
everyone who was your enemy is your friend,
everything you hated, you now love,
and everything you love slips through your fingers like sand.

Pictured: PITCH A TENT: A staff member of the Dresden State Art Collections admired a 17th century Ottoman tent in Dresden, Germany, Monday. (Ralf Hirschberger/DPA/ZUMA Press)

8 Comments

Join the discussion and tell us your opinion.

River Linreply
March 05, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Love this post ~ such a beautiful poem! I do think about this possibility, actually, I think about it quite often, not so much as to render me disfunctional, but enough to think twice before I claim judgments. thank you!

elio scintureply
March 11, 2010 at 11:03 AM

dear luke
i’m elio, an italian artist, i live in amsterdam.
i fall in your website searching material about william segal. thank you very much for your precious work. the text of william that you have in your website are beautiful, and all your material is really interesting.
actually i would like to ask you if you have something more about segal, and maybe if you like to prepare an article about him for my website.
i would like to speak with you about it.

by the way, do you know this girl, Irene Kaoru? the girl that published the Gentry pages in her blog? she also look really interesting…
again thank you

elio

Luke Stormsreply
March 15, 2010 at 12:03 PM
– In reply to: elio scintu

Greetings Elio,

I’m happy you share my interest in William Segal. He was certainly an extraordinary individual. I am not sure if you have seen all the posts on here about William Segal (http://lukestorms.wordpress.com/?s=william+segal). Please feel free to reblog them onto your website. To answer your question, no I don’t know Irene personally, I stumbled across her when I went looking for covers of Gentry Magazine.

warm regards,

Luke

stevenreply
March 15, 2010 at 06:03 PM

to imagine a tent that mirrors the cosmos and to imagine a world turned rightside in then inside out then away from itself to nothingness. here we are. steven

scintu elioreply
March 16, 2010 at 04:03 PM

dear Luke
Yes! I’ve read all the posts published about W. Segal and i did more! I printed all of theme and share them with a lot of artists that i know here in Amstredam. I think it’s material that people should read, specially now a days that questions like “what is beauty?” and “what is art?” are so confusing… “What am i doing?” it’s a painful question for many people that i know and that i respect, and only along this question we can understand something more about our nature.
In may the first number of my digital magazine will be ready and i will send you some information.
Elio

Katherinereply
April 03, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Beautiful poem and tent. I know exactly of what he speaks. I want to live in the tent. Somewhere warm.

On Writing, On Friday « in silence, humming softlyreply
July 02, 2010 at 12:07 AM

[…] here: at Crashingly Beautiful’s Intense City; here somewhere: Whiskey River, no matter if you find it there, you will find something; here 3 […]

Paul Andrew Russellreply
July 22, 2010 at 02:07 PM

This is a beautiful poem. Thank you for posting it. I really enjoyed reading this. 🙂